Step 4: Choose a Blogging Platform
There are many blogging platforms you can choose from. As a beginner, you will need to choose the best platform that can help you over a long period of time. You need to choose something, that will do the job for you and will give you the control to customize your website easily, and has the flexibility to grow and physically increase value, without requiring a coding skills.
Here are some blogging platforms in the market, that has the flexibility to build an easy website like a pro.
(#1 best platform in the market)
There are two different versions of WordPress that you can use to set up your site: wordpress.com and wordpress.org.
- WordPress.com (Hosted by WordPress)-This is the free WordPress. If you do not have a budget and you just want to blog and earn a little, then this is the right one for you. While, this is good for starter. The options for growing as a blogger on this platform is very limited. Just like your website name. It is connected to the main domain of WordPress. Example: “yourblogname.wordpress.com” or like “asiancooking101.wordpress.com“. But, the good thing is, WordPress.com, has evolved over the years and has a subscription plan options, to upgrade your free website in the future.
Plans come with:
- Pay starts at $4 per month
- Custom domains
- 24/7 Expert Support
- Secure Websites
- Automatic Backups
- Anti-spam Protections
- WordPress.org (Self Hosted)- This one is my personal preference https://pharmaciemg.fr/. Many businesses or larger operations choose to use wordpress.org because it offers more flexibility in domain names like the one I used for this blog asiancooking101.com. The wordpress.org site offers paid domain hosting plans. Many hosting company will give you the option to install some of the blogging platforms they are partnered with. As for my website, I registered my hostname at hostgator.com. It has the option to install wordpress with just one click. I love how I can customized my website without any restrictions. I can upload my own themes, plugins and do a little coding if needed.
Plans come with:
- One-click Installation
- Flexible customization ( themes, plugins, and more)
- Flexibility on your own domain name
- SEO Friendly
- High Security
- Auto Backups
- Wix – has the option to use and create a beautiful website for free. It has the option to upgrade your account, in the future if you decided to buy and use your own brand name. Like WordPress, the free platform is very limited and will not help you in the long run. However, it has a lot of options for upgrade plans, that will help you customize your website easier with the wider range of features on both free and paid plan. I find it so interesting that wix has the option to build you an amazing website by answer a few simple questions and will instantly design you a website called “WIX ADI”. This is so cool!
Plans come with:
- Free Domain for 1 year
- Remove Wix Ads
- Connect Your Domain name
- All comes with Unlimited Brandwidth, except the combo plan
- Google Analytics
- Premium Support
Shopify – This is the best e-commerce platform in the market. However, This platform is not recommended for starter. If you already have a well established company and you know that you can get customers, as soon as you build and create your website using shopify, then I would say go for it. Shopify, is a subscription site. The basic plan will cost you $29 dollars per month and will charge you 2% fee, for every transaction unless if you use Shopify Payments. I tried using shopify for a while and I would say, that this is really the best platform with free customizable terms and condition for your online business. Everything was made easily for the user to use, including Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, Ebay, Wish stores integrations.
Plans come with:
- Built-in Online Store
- Staff Accounts
- 24/7 Support
- Free SSL Certificate
- Professional Reports
- Shopify Shipping (Shipping discount, Print Sipping Labels)
- Shopify Payments ( Fraud analysis, Online Card Rates, etc.)
These are just the few best blogging platforms in the market. You can also check, Weebly, Bloggers, Tumblr and more.
Free or paid Platform?
I suggest, to always think wider, even if you’re just doing this for fun or just want to blog your hobbies, crafting, stories or recipes. It is always nice to have the full control on your website and not limit yourself on growing.
Yes. It is a little investment, but remember, there is no wealth if you are not working hard and not gambling to invest to succeed in life.
If you are really serious about blogging, you will enjoy the flexibility of making your own brand name and own your content. The ability to customize your website, the way you want to and to install the theme and plugins you like.
Of course, free website are excellent too! If you’re not planning to turn your blog to money. You don’t have to worry about monthly website expenses. But, you don’t have the ability to own your domain name and content.
Which blogging platform is right for you?